Molds can pose risk to every household. They can be the culprit for some health problems in the family. These problems should not be taken lightly. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce those risks and prevent them from becoming a major issue in our homes.
One way to mitigate the risk is to use mold-resistant drywall. What is mold-resistant drywall? It is designed to withstand the growth of mold caused by water vapor and surface moisture. It helps reduce the possibility of mold buildup. However, it is more useful if installed in damp and humid areas. Drywall has to be kept dry and protected from moisture.
Mold-resistant drywall is a good investment. It is a good selling feature in the real estate business. Let us discuss its pros and cons.
- Moisture and Mold Resistance. The main objective of mold-resistant drywall is to resist both liquid and vapor forms of moisture. When moisture is prevented from entering and absorbing through the surfaces, the entire wall or assembly is also protected from deterioration. Proper design, handling, and construction practices aid in extending the life and appearance of the interior surfaces. It also reduces health risks among family members.
- Fire Resistant. Most mildew-resistant drywall is formulated with fire protection, less smoke generation, and reduced flame spread. This is one feature that traditional drywall does not have.
- Construction and Cost Efficient. The cost of mold-resistant drywall is more expensive than the standard drywall, but the long-term benefits are more than the cost. It saves you from repairs while keeping your family’s health safe. Its versatility throughout the construction process makes it easier even for renovations and remodeling jobs.
- Easy to Repair. Its repair is easy as long as there is no electrical or plumbing that runs in the wall. For those who want to do a DIY, experts have also shared and published easy steps on repairing mold-resistant drywall.
- Complete mold prevention is not guaranteed. Manufacturers have made a disclaimer about mold prevention. There is no guarantee that molds will be completely prevented, but it can hinder mold growth in humid areas.
- It is expensive. It is notably pricier than the standard drywall.
- Meticulous installation. During installation and handling, exposure to water should be avoided. It should not be exposed to a temperature exceeding 125°F.
When installing mold-resistant drywall, consider maximizing the space of your home. Newton Basement Finishing Company will do all the finishing jobs for you. We specialize in basement finishing, remodeling and design, including basement bathrooms and bedrooms, built-ins, bars, wine cellar, basement home theaters, and waterproofing. We serve Newton, Massachusetts, and the surrounding towns and cities.
We are a team of professional, skilled, well-trained, and dedicated staff members who are confident to transform your house into an ultimate sanctuary. Our years in the basement finishing business have taught us to be passionate about fulfilling every customer’s expectation. Newton Basement Finishing Company has a top-notch reputation in basement design, remodeling, and finishing that will save you from hassle and stress. We create incredible and luxurious features that suit your personality. Our rates are very affordable with efficient, and excellent service. We listen to our customers and incorporate all vital ideas in every remodeling and renovation project.
Do you want to learn more? Call us at 617-744-4133 so we can address all your concerns.